Springtime Sweet & Tangy Salad
Spring is in the air, and that means wedding season is upon us. One of my favorite food marriages is the pairing of fruits and veggies together in the same dish. If you’re looking to change up your usual salad, try this Springtime Sweet & Tangy Salad for a quickie swap.
This springtime salad features just a few ingredients. Dark leafy greens for iron, creamy avocado for healthy fats, colorful peppers for antioxidant boosts from vitamin C and betacarotene, tangy grapefruit to help with iron absorption, and a sprinkle of feta cheese for added calcium.
The daily recommendation is 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. However, most Americans are missing this goal. Adding a salad nightly with meals is one way to boost your fresh veggie intake. And if you can also get a little fruit mixed in there too, it’s an added bonus.
RECOMMENDED ITEMS: Salad plates, paring knife, grapefruit knife or spoon, salad dressing emulsifier.
- 2-3 C Dark leafy greens I recommend a mix of baby kale and baby spinach
- 1/2 ripe avocado cubed
- 3-4 mini sweet peppers seeded and sliced
- 1/2 red or pink grapefruit sections removed
- 2 tsp feta cheese
- 2 TB vinegar-based dressing see Note
- Fresh ground pepper optional
- Mix ingredients without dressing together in a bowl or prepare by dividing ingredients on each plate.
- Add dressing of choice and optional sprinkle of fresh ground pepper.
1 salad (no dressing)= 101 calories, 6g fat (1g sat fat), 10g carbs, 4g fiber, 3g protein, 90 mg sodium (Source: SELF Nutrition Data)
DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own and are not influenced or biased by any third parties. I am not compensated for mentioning any specific brands or retailers on this blog.