Green Lentil Cheese Lasagne Roll-ups
My previous post featured a vegan version of these lasagne roll-ups. But because I am a traditional Italian, I had try a version using my standard lasagne recipe with the Explore Cuisine Organic Green Lentil Lasagne.
A vegan version felt appropriate to start given Explore Cuisine‘s product line of high protein, high fiber pulse pastas. But Mr E loves when I do what I do best, which is traditional Italian dishes. So I also created a version using my standard lasagne filling recipe. While this version doesn’t include any veggies, I will never stop someone from adding them in.
The filling is made from ricotta, part-skim low moisture mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, egg (for binding), and some parsley. As much as I love my fresh mozzarella cheese, I’ve learned over the years that low-moisture prevents a wet, soggy mess of a lasagne. The lasagne is prepped the same as its vegan cousin. Lasagne sheets are placed one at a time in very hot water that had previously been boiled, and soaked 2-3 minutes to get them softened. Use tongs to remove lasagne sheets from the hot water, run under cold water and place on a flat surface. Spoon 2TB of the ricotta filling to the far left of the lasagne sheet, and then roll up, placing seam side down on a pan lined with non-foil or parchment paper. Spoon marinara sauce over the top, sprinkle with mozzarella plus some basil, and bake for 15 minutes.
Mr E of course found these far superior to the vegan ones. So the good news is, if you happen to be a house divided when it comes to vegan vs non-vegan, you can prep the two different fillings, and bake both at the same time. Remember – it’s important to keep dinners as similar as possible to stay on the same page with your eating lifestyle together.
Related Post: Vegan Lasagne Roll-ups
Which version will you try- traditional or be adventurous with vegan? Share your thoughts on social media and tag #Foodandmovement. Sound off in the Comments!
- 1 C ricotta cheese
- 1/2 C shredded low-moisture part skim mozzarella plus extra for topping
- 2 TB grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 TB chopped parsley
- 8 sheets Explore Cuisine Organic Green Lentil Lasagne
- 1 C marinara sauce
- Dried or fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare a pot of boiling water while preparing the ricotta filling, then turn down to low heat to keep hot.
- Mix the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, and parsley together. Set aside.
- Place the lasagne sheets into the hot water for 2-3 minutes at a time, careful not to stick together. Using tongs to remove the lasagne sheets, run lasagne under cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Prepare the rollups one at a time by placing a lasagne sheet on a flat surface. Spoon 2TB filling on to the left 1/4 of the sheet, spreading filling the width of the sheet. Proceed to completely roll up the lasagne with the filling, placing seam side down into a pan lined with non-stick foil.
- Continue rolling all lasagne sheets with filling.
- Once all roll-ups have been placed in the pan, spoon marinara sauce on top and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and basil.
- Bake 15 minutes in the oven, and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
2 roll-ups = 430 calories, 14g fat (7g sat fat), 49g carbs, 5g fiber, 29g protein, 326 mg sodium (Source: SELF Nutrition Data)
DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own and are not influenced or biased by any third parties. I am not compensated for mentioning any specific brands or retailers on this blog, however I do serve as an affiliate for several retailers. I was provided with free samples of product from Explore Cuisine to experiment with recipes and blog about my opinion of their pasta.